Monday, 29 June 2009

What is success?

Turned down a job today. Lecturer at one of the top universities in the UK, paying a good £8k a year more than I earn now.

I felt it wasn't quite the right step for me and that I would be academically and possibly socially isolated there. I don't want to skip too many developmental stages.

It made me think about what IS important in my job, and more generally, in my life. Feeling competent, learning, having a laugh, being cared for and caring for others - these are life's valuables.

Don't get me wrong, I want prestige and money, just not at that cost.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that had to have been a tough decision. It sounds to me like you've thought it through, though, and are comfortable with your decision. In any case, I think it's quite a compliment that they offered it to you--something to feel quite proud about. It sounds to me like you have your priorities straight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of the really successful (in the eyes of the world) people that I know are always looking for the next thing to succeed at. That, I suppose, is because if you really yearn for success then success is what you go for, not happiness.

    To me that seems rather an unsuccessful way to live. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, but I AM looking for the next thing to be successful at! I thought I wouldn't be happy there, and therefore that I wouldn't be successful (although I know there is only a r=0.3 correlation between salary and job satisfaction)

    ReplyDelete