
My keyboard fell on my foot on Saturday night. That's an 88 weighted-key musical instrument rather than a contraption used for typing. The stand it was resting on was being held together by one of those small metal screwdrivers (it had previously collapsed with no damage), which drove into the top of my foot as the stand collapsed. Luckily it went into my foot blunt end first.
Being a hardcore rocker, I swabbed the blood with a bar towel, had a few vodkas to numb the pain and carried on playing. On Monday my foot was almost totally blue and the cut had a red circle around it.
I phoned an Emergency Medicine doctor friend who advise me to come in and see her. I work over the road from her hospital so at 1.30pm yesterday I strolled/limped in to the ER and then 30 minutes later strolled/limped back out again with my x-ray results, having seen both the doctor and the emergency nurse practitioner (luckily my foot is fine - no break to be seen).
Basically, I used my contacts to jump the queue. I feel bad about this, but at the same time didn't want to volunteer to take the usual 4 hours out of work to wait to be seen.
What should I have done?
I'd do anything to avoid a 4 hour queue as well. Hope the foot is well on the way to recovery
ReplyDeleteI agree with Mo. I am sure that your friend did not shove a heart attack patient on to one side to look at your foot. If she had done, it would be a different matter.
ReplyDeleteI think you should leave those kind of decisions up to the doctor.
Phew. Thanks for the support (and the foot is much better thanks). The doctor in question has a particular interest in ethics and law, so I can trust her judgement on these things.
ReplyDeleteI thought about this a lot, so I'm late in commmenting, but I agree the other comments--you were right to put it to an expert in the field and then let that person guide you to the best action to take. I'm glad to hear your foot is better.
ReplyDelete