Drama this evening at the Co-op AGM.
I live in a housing Co-operative, run on a voluntary basis by the tenant members. On Saturday an anonymous poison pen letter was sent to all 202 Co-op tenants, telling vicious lies about two of the Co-op's(unpaid) Management Committee.
The letter ensured that tonight's meeting boasted the largest turnout I've seen in 4 years of living here. It was heartening that almost all had come to support the MC members, as well as get a good dose of gossip.
I said "almost all" because although the letter was anonymous, it's pretty clear who wrote it, and he was present too, his downturned face hidden by the brim of his baseball cap.
After the two MC members had had made their dignified responses to the letter,the Co-op members started showing their anger. A woman addressed the 50-strong crowd:
"The letter wasn't signed, but we all know who wrote it. He's even here with us tonight. Why doesn't he speak out and tell us why he hates us so much?"
Our eyes scanned the room.
The man we all suspected raised himself to his feet and replied "you should refer to the facts before making accusations. I had nothing to do with those letters."
Another female voice called out from the other side of the hall: "well why have you stood up then? No-one said your name."
Busted.
In the pub afterwards there was a general feeling of good cheer. The people had rallied round to protect their community. We will stand together.
The letter will be taken to the police and if they can prove who wrote it, the Co-op will take action.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Jesus! Who did this I wonder. Will want to hear more. But the Co Op can surely lose people like this.
ReplyDeleteI think the Co-op may well lose them, but it's quite a process. We'll have to prove it was them first.
ReplyDelete