What is it about Motown? Which other label has had such a lot of brilliant artists?
Just bought a compilation of 50 Motown songs and nearly all of them are fabulous (dodgy Diana Ross and Boyz II Men ones aside).
Listened to them one after another whilst making my nephew a birthday card and didn't want to skip a single track.
Some of my favourite songs of all time are Motown:
Heard it through the grapevine - Marvin Gaye
Money - Barrett Strong
Shop around - The Miracles
Do you love me - The Contours.
Amazing.
Friday, 29 January 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Back in the 70s here there was an advert for a cereal featuring raisins dancing to Heard It Through the Grapevine. A group of coworkers and I dressed up as the Singing Raisins one Halloween. (Let me remember, black tights and shirts, big black trash bags with holes for our arms and legs and lightly stuffed with newspapers, bow ties, white gloves, large sunglasses, yep, we were awesome.) We boogied through our entire building with a boom box playing "Heard It Through the Grapevine." It was great fun! I love Motown. Marjorie
ReplyDeleteYes, I like Motown as well..
ReplyDeleteWhere did our love go. Sorry I know its corny but I likeit
ReplyDeleteA friend told me yesterday that one band wrote all of the Motown hits - maybe that's why the label produces music so uniform in its greatness!
ReplyDelete