Sunday, 9 August 2009

Farewell Bulgaria

Have spent the last 9 days in Bulgaria. Coming home tomorrow, which is a shame because I could quite easily see myself getting the overnight train to Istanbul instead...

Our last night in Sofia and I'm in the internet cafe...Got back from the mountains this morning and spent the afternoon wandering around, looking at and in churches and at late 19th c and early 20th c paintings by Bulgarian artists. Saw a sculpture by the man whose house we stayed in when we first arrived Friday before last: Andrei Nikolov.

My legs are still aching from yesterday's climb up to Mount Maliovitsa (2650 m). At one point we came across a huge boulder, over 30 ft high and 30 ft wide, which appeared to have been thrown off the peak by a giant. It had split to reveal a dark interior marbled with white quartz. It was very misty and foggy, so too cold for a swim in the glacial pools, which were so clear you could see the giant rocks lurking at the bottom like glowering beasts. Managed to get a bit surnburned despite the thick cloud.

How annoying to be leaving just as we start to master the Cyrillic alphabet.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great holiday. Hoping to go there myself soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you can post some pictures

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny I will post pics. And Mo, I recommend it. Great place. Just don't expect the food to be great (chicken cornflakes anyone?).

    ReplyDelete