Tuesday, 18 August 2009

More about boats

I'm going to see a narrowboat on Thursday after work. It's moored near Uxbridge, so easy to get to - only 22 minutes by train from Paddington. I'm ridiculously overexcited. In fact I'm a bit worried that the excitment really is ridiculous.

The last time I went on a narrowboat holiday I was three years old.
I don't know ANYTHING about boats, or engines, or pump out toilets. I'll have a survey, but what if I spend £25,000 on an old banger? Should I go through a broker?

I am learning though. I know what a British Waterway Safety Certificate and a Boat Safety Certificate are. I know I'll have to get insurance. I know the mooring costs £2,800 and they have 24h shower facilities.

I absolutely love the idea of having somewhere that is my own, that I can make what I want. I love the idea of cruising around the countryside, exploring, sitting in pubs, chatting to boat people. I love the fact that I could lend it (sorry, her) to friends for holidays.

I also think it's about time I took some proper responsibility for something. I can't run away from being a grown up forever. But is buying a boat responsible?

I'll go and see it, and see what I think. I'll also ask some people who own boats what to do.

Just because it's difficult, doesn't mean I can't do it, right?

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, sounds briliant and it is bound to open doors and change your life. However at 4 mph it takes a while to get to anywhere THAT new.....

    I'd ask to see all bills for the last 5 years when you inspect the boat. Then you'll see how much maintenance they have done and what it costs. Might be fun to inspect quite a few boats even ones that are out of your price range just so you get to know the way it all works

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Jenny's ideas are great. I was going to suggest getting an expert in to look it over, like you'd do with a car (mechanic) or home purchase (building inspector). I don't know what the equivalent for boats is, but I'm sure there must be one. Plus, are there extra costs and taxes beyond the mooring fees? Are there maintenance standards and schedules and inspections you must meet? What if you want to moor someplace else (like Hungerford!)--are there fees for that? Lock fees? And, just out of curiosity, how does one cook on a boat? I assume you must be able to but I can't quite get my head around it... Marjorie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good advice as usual, thanks. I went to see a friend's partner who is a boat enthuasiast, and has owned many boats. He told me all sorts of things to look out for and all sorts of things to ask. I feel much more prepared now.

    The boat has a cooker on it - 4 gas rings and an oven I think!

    As far as I know you don't have to pay if you want to moor by the side of the canal on trips, but you can't stay longer than 14 days usually. There are maintenance standards (the BSC) that you have to renew every few years, like on a car. You have to take the boat out of the water every few years, let it dry out and repaint the bottom.

    The boat I'm looking at is 20 years old so I'll need to make sure I know exactly what has been done to it (with receipts) and what will need doing.

    Exciting!!

    ReplyDelete