So, went to see the boat yesterday. I feel all mixed up about it. When I was there I was almost ready to hand over the cash. It's a lovely boat. Quite old (20 years) and a bit on the tatty side, but laid out really well with nice wooden walls, a good dry smell and a nice warm feel about it. We arrived just as the sun was low in the Western sky, casting a beautiful warm yellow glow over everything. And the massive plus point is that the marina is only 22 minutes from Paddington by train, and is also on the end of my tube line at Uxbridge.
The main problem is that the engine wasn't working. It needs new injectors and I noticed that the well deck had some oily water in the bottom. There are automatic bilge pumps, but when the owner ran them, no water came out. He said this was because there wasn't enough water in the bilges for it to come out.
I told him I really like it and would like to make an offer, but I needed a cooling off period. He said he would make a good working engine a condition of sale, but I think I need to see the engine fixed and go out on the boat before I lay down a deposit.
I felt sick when I left. Pretty terrified at making this kind of committment. What if I don't want to hang out on the boat all the time? I'd have to spend one weekend in four up there, and take at least one holiday a year on it. Is that what I want? I don't think I can really know until it comes to the push and I have to lay down the cash.
If he phoned me and said the boat had been sold to someone else I would be very sad.
Friday, 21 August 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh gosh, it's scary spending all this cash and committing yourself. At least you've got some breathing space before you decide. You are wise to insist on seeing the engine. Good luck!
ReplyDelete