Monday, 21 September 2009

Bought the narrowboat

Wow.

Feeling pretty strange. Agreed to buy the boat in Henley. Have just paid £10,000 out of my savings and the rest to follow tomorrow.

I have never spent that kind of money in my life. And there is more money to come for the doors, the blacking, and the insurance.

Thank goodness I'm getting a pay rise!

Can't really imagine what it's going to be like taking my own boat out on to the river. God I hope I enjoy it, and that everyone else enjoys it too.

I can see a lot of weekends sanding, painting, sawing, sewing and so on coming up. And several mornings waking early, and venturing out on to the stern to watch the waterbirds as I drink a steaming mug of fresh coffee and munch on a croissant. WOW!

4 comments:

  1. Woo-hoo! Congratulations! (don't sums of money like that make you shake? Does me!) Can I go for a ride? Marjorie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're bound to enjoy it. It could bring a new dimension to your life, like our field did. You can do much less with a field than a narrowboat but it has given us a link to Suffolk and your boat will give you a link to the river and waterways life and people and take you in new directions.

    And if you don't like the directions it's taking you in, then you can sell it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So it's canals all round? What happened about the root canal? (hahaha witty)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Turns out I needed a filling instead. Went to another dentist for a second opinion. He gave me the choice between a private white filling for £75 (£30 cheaper than the white filling at the other dentist) or an NHS white inlay for £198.99. The latter is apparently the better option clinically, so I went for that. Although it costs me less money, the dentist presumably makes less money on it because it's NHS. Anyhow, it was certainly less than the £600 root canal.

    So I'm using the £400 I've saved to buy steel doors for the boat.

    I'm thinking of them as steel teeth - guarding the entrance to my boat/mouth. Wierd? Possibly...

    ReplyDelete