Friday, 29 May 2009

Are bloggers lonely? Or just creative?

I've just read a few studies about the personality types of bloggers.

Apparently, women who are high in Neuroticism (the personality trait associated with depression, anxiety, paranoia and loneliness) are attracted to using the internet (Amichai-Hamburger & Ben-Artzi. Computers in Human Behavior, 2003) and prefer chatting online rather than face-to-face (Amichai-Hamburger, Wainapel & Fox. CyberPsychology & Behavior, 2002) .

I am brand new to blogging. Never felt the desire to do it before. Now all of a sudden I feel the urge to write about the slugs in my garden.

Am I lonely?

Maybe when it comes to talking about slugs I am alone. At least in real non-cyber life. My friends are interested in partying, politics, other people, music, books, boys/girls, clothes and art. Not gardening. And until about 2 months ago I was the same. Now that I've got a new flat, I've started reading Country Living instead of Vogue and looking at chaffinches on the BBC Springwatch webcams.

Although I still feel odd if I don't go out on a Saturday night.

What a relief to read a more recent study showing that bloggers are higher on Openess to Experience which is the personality trait associated with creativity, interest in the world and being intellectual (Guadagno, Okdiea & Enoa. Computers in Human Behavior, 2007)

That's more like it.

1 comment: